Plant Breeding and Genomics
Turfgrass cultivars released from Dr. Hanna's research program are grown around the world. Cultivars include: TifSport Bermudagrass, TifEagle Bermudagrass, TifGrand Bermudagrass, and TifBlair centipedegrass. TifSport and TifGrand have been used on World Cup soccer fields. These cultivars generate over $34 million in wholesale farm gate value. Pearl millet cultivar Tifleaf 3 is a widely grown forage grass and grain hybrids are increasing in use.
This successful turf breeding program at the Coastal Plain Experiment Station (UGA Tifton) has made Tifton the "Turf Grass Capital of the World."
- 1984: UMerit Certificate, American Forage & Grassland Council
- 1985: Fellow, American Society of Agronomy
- 1985: Japanese Government Research Award for Foreign Specialists
- 1986: USDA Forage and Turfgrass Research Team Award
- 1989: Medallion Award, American Forage and Grassland Council
- 1990: USDA ARS Outstanding Scientist of the Year
- 1992: USDA Award for Distinguished Service
- 2001: Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer
- 2001: Fred V. Grau Turfgrass Science Award, Crop Science Society of America
- 2002: Outstanding Technology Transfer Award, USDA ARS
- 2003: C. Reed Funk Achievement Award, Turfgrass Breeders Association
- 2003: Inventor of the Year, University of Georgia Research Foundation
- 2011: Georgia Agricultural Hall of Fame