CAES Ambassadors - Tifton
The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences has an ambassador program for student recruitment and public relations on its Tifton Campus. The mission of Tifton's CAES Ambassadors is to recruit potential students, represent the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences in a professional manner, and develop relationships which foster growth and leadership.
The Fall, 2020 student ambassadors for the UGA Tifton campus are (l-r): Courtney Conine, Marlyn Grantham, Josh Thrift, Summer Steele, Makenna Mabrey, and Morgan Sysskind.
Ambassador Duties and Expectations
While student recruitment is the ambassadors' main goal, CAES Ambassadors also assist at College and University sponsored events and are available to speak on topics related to agriculture, the environment, or student opportunities. CAES Ambassadors have the opportunity to travel, give back to CAES, meet and network with college leaders, develop friendships, expand communication and leadership skills, meet potential students and network with alumni.
Events, both on and off campus, may include:
- Open campus events for recruitment at two-year institutions
- College recognition ceremonies and receptions
- Sunbelt Agricultural Exposition
- Alumni events
- Southeast and southwest district events
- Campus cookouts and social events
- Various grower and producer conferences
- Local Relay for Life event
- Campus visits with potential students
CAES Ambassadors are available to speak before groups, schools, clubs, assemblies, banquets, or similar events during the week and weekends.
All CAES Ambassadors are expected to do the following:
- Ambassadors are required to attend a professional development class which meets once a week throughout the semester. Class is not held during Summer Semester.
- Ambassadors are required to have an email account and to access the account daily for any news or events. It is expected that the ambassadors maintain close communication with the CAES Tifton Campus Academic Affairs staff, both in person and by e-mail.
- Ambassadors are expected to be knowledgeable about the Tifton campus and college.
- Ambassadors are required to attend an off-campus weekend workshop the first weekend after Fall Semester begins.
- Ambassadors must adhere to the UGA Code of Conduct.
Application and Selection
Applications are available for pick up from the Tifton Campus Admissions Counselor. Applications for new ambassadors are accepted and reviewed each summer.
- Have a major in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
- Have at least a 2.8 overall GPA.
- Plan to be enrolled in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences for the following Fall and Spring Semesters.
- Ambassadors must be enthusiastic, personable, and possess good communication skills.
Because positions are limited, CAES looks for individuals who will devote time and effort to the program. Approximately three to five new ambassadors are selected each year to fill positions made vacant by graduating ambassadors.
Interested students are required to:
- Attend a mandatory information session
- Submit an application
The selection process includes:
- Group interviews with current ambassadors
- Interviews with faculty, staff and/or alumni