Milestones and Events

The first 50 years


1918

The Coastal Plain Experiment Station (CPES) – now UGA-Tifton – was established in Tifton by an act of the Georgia General Assembly.

1922

The first office building – the H.H. Tift Building – was built for $17,120.

1936

Dr. Glenn Burton (pictured), Dr. Paul M. Gilmer and Mr. P.A. Glick joined the staff.

1937

The Agricultural Research Building (far left) was built with a $50,000 grant from the Public Works Administration.

1944

Over 35 scientists conducted research on over 5,000 acres. Departments included: Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Animal Diseases, Ag Engineering, Entomology, Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Nematology and Soils.

1945

Peanut harvesting combine was developed by Mr. James Shepherd. This same year, peanuts became the #1 cash crop in south Georgia.

1952

Branch stations increased in importance. We see the first mention (in the 1952 Annual Report) of branch stations in Reidsville, Plains and Alapaha.

1955

The original Administration Building was built for $290,000.

1960

93% of the state's sweet potato crop planted with two station-bred varieties: GA Red and Earlysweet.

1962

Diagnostic services for animal diseases attracted statewide support and gave the station recognition in livestock circles.

The second 50 years


1970

Construction began on the Rural Development Center.

1974

The swine center was responsible for boar production becoming more efficient. Compared to the mid-1920's, pigs were reaching ideal market weight at half the time.

1987

The first annual Georgia Peanut Tour visited campus.

1987

For the first time, the Coastal Plain Experiment Station was represented at the Sunbelt Agricultural Exposition in Moultrie, Ga.

1988

Dr. Gloria McCutcheon was the first African-American female to receive a Ph.D. in Entomology in the United States. Dr. Jim Todd served as her major professor.

1992

The CPES campus continued to expand with the National Environmentally Sound Production Agriculture Laboratory (NESPAL) and the Vidalia Onion Research Facility.

2003

The first undergraduate students began classes at UGA-Tifton.

2004

The first four students graduated from the University of Georgia Tifton Campus.

2004

The Cotton MicroGin was built. It was the only one in the U.S. designed to assess effects of growing techniques, environmental conditions, pest pressures and ginning on fiber quality.

2009

The Future Farmstead Project – UGA's Water, Energy and People Efficient model home – was begun.

2010

TifSport, developed by Wayne Hanna in 1997, was used for World Cup soccer games in South Africa.

2013

Plant DNA sequencing is being conducted by the Ozias-Akins Laboratory.